It’s almost time to VENTURE ONWARD! We know that you, your Scouts, leaders and parents have planned many months for your summer adventure, and we want to deliver a safe and high-quality program. We want you to know that all ZBASE programs are currently scheduled to continue, as scheduled, this summer and we will continue to monitor and consult with experts and provide updates as they become available.
Please keep checking back as we are posting updates regularly.
We understand that crews need to make travel and other final plans before arriving. However, by applying a metered approach to the summer season, it allows the most flexibility in adjusting programs to serve participants.
As you prepare for your summer adventure, we want to offer some suggestions to help get you ready:
- Do a virtual Crew meeting (using Skype, Zoom, or another online portal): Be sure to follow all Youth Protection standards. You can find some more information and tips at: https://www.scouting.org/scoutingathome/
- Take your required ATV online course at https://atvsafety.org/atv-ecourse/. If your trek includes ATVs all crew members will need proof of this training.
- Take your Oklahoma boaters safety course at https://www.boat-ed.com/oklahoma/. If your trek includes the Aquatics Adventure Area (jet skis) all crew members will need proof of this training.
- Set a crew goal and get your crew physically ready for your trek. This is a great way to get outside and enjoy fresh air while practicing responsible social distancing. For some tips you can visit any of the BSA merit badge books of Physical Fitness, Backpacking, or Hiking or visit: https://scoutingmagazine.org/issues/9703/a-fitt.html
- Adults take online training through your my.scouting.org account such as:
- Renew your Youth Protection Training
- Trek Safely
- Safe Swim Defense
- Safety Afloat
- Weather Hazards
- Climb on Safely
- Consult and share the ZBASE Leaders Guide: to help you go through and be ready for your adventure. You can find it at: https://zbase.camp/leaders-guide/
- Payments: The next payment date is 30 days before the start of your trek. This will be the remaining balance for your adventure. This is more important than ever so we can properly prepare for you adventure. A reminder invoice will be sent with the exact amount that you owe. We understand that this is an unprecedented time and may present financial hardships. If you have questions, please contact us at 918-392-1227
- Wilderness First Aid and other required courses: ZBASE highly encourages crew leadership to complete the Wilderness First Aid and CPR requirements as written in the Adventure Guidebook (Leaders Guide), however, ZBASE will not deny crews a ZBASE adventure due to the inability to meet WFA and CPR requirements during the 2020 season. ZBASE has adjusted the program model slightly to accommodate crews who do not have these certifications.
- BSA Annual Health and Medical Record: A new version of this form was recently released and you can find it at https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/HealthSafety/pdf/680-001_ABC.pdf. Parts A, B, & C MUST be filled out on this form in order to participate at ZBASE. It is understood that scheduling time to get your AHMR completed is difficult at this time, but all efforts need to exhausted as it is imperative to speak to your health provider before doing any high adventure activity.
Again, we are here to help you every step of the way and if you have questions or problems please do not hesitate in contacting us at any time. See you at ZBASE!
Scott Thiessen Jacob Southwick
ZBASE Director ZBASE Trek Director